Tuesday 17 July 2012

My best anti-ageing tip ever

I remember sitting on a bus in Newcastle when I was in my 30s, and glancing at the woman opposite me who looked like she was in her 60s.  Her mouth was turned down and every line on her face was drooping in a downwards direction.  I vowed then that I wouldn't look as miserable when I was her age.

My next memorable experience was seeing a photo of myself doing a cross-country run when I was in my 40s.  The photographer took me by surprise and the result was a picture of me looking as grim as I felt.  You could have pinned it up in a Police station with the caption: "Wanted.  This woman is on the run and is dangerous. Do not approach!"  it was that bad. I looked so old and haggard that after that I always ran with a smile on my face. Even when I was feeling weary towards the end of the London Marathon, I managed to smile when I saw my friend, and the resulting photo was surprisingly good considering I had reached mile 18.

These experiences taught me one important lesson about getting old: smile and you instantly look years younger.  Eventually you end up with the face you deserve, so if you are always friendly and smile at people at least any lines will be laughter lines.  You may not be able to afford or even want a face lift, but if you smile at people your eyes look brighter, your face is instantly uplifted and you look a lot younger.  Not only that, it makes you feel good and it makes other people feel even better.  Plus - an additional bonus for those of us who are no longer earning money - a smile costs nothing!  Please share your own anti-ageing tips with us, especially those that don't involve spending lots of money on expensive creams.

Michelle Obama not looking too happy!

Michelle looking her usual lovely self!

3 comments:

  1. I only just turned 30, but you speak such truth, even for younger women. I'd much rather have smile lines than frown lines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true! And you don't even really have to be frowning to give off that grim appearance, just *not* smiling. I'm a pretty upbeat person by nature, and when I was working I would always get a reminder when I was dipping too far down into myself because I'd lose my smile . . . even if I was just preoccupied with thoughts or particularly busy, not really unhappy . . . but someone would always stop me and say "what's wrong?", then explain they'd assumed I had a problem since I wasn't smiling. Good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I posted photos of Michelle Obama as it shows how even an attractive woman like her doesn't look her best if she's not smiling. I nearly posted ones of myself frowning and then smiling - but didn't want to scare my younger readers!

    ReplyDelete