Monday 18 February 2013

FABruary Style Challenge - Statement Earrings

Today's Style Challenge is: Statement Earrings. This was a bit of a tricky one for me as although I have a few pairs of earrings they are all quite small, which doesn't really make that much of a statement.  I guess what they state is "Sue hasn't got pierced ears, so this is the best she can do!" Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like earrings: I sometimes spot a beautiful pair when internet-window-shopping, and I am tempted to buy them. Except for the fact that they are always for pierced ears.

I guess the reason that I don't have pierced ears is that I'm not into unnecessary pain, which you can translate as the fact that I'm a coward.  When I was younger I was a bit of a tomboy too, so dangling earrings didn't quite fit my image.  However it's never too late to change your image, so I am planning to get my ears pierced for my 70th birthday and ask my family to give me some outrageous earrings for my birthday present.  Until then, this is the best I could do.  Don't worry if you can't spot the earrings - you're not meant to.

In the photo I am wearing more of a statement necklace, so it would have been too much to have worn statement earrings as well - assuming that I had any.  I would of course have had to wear a simple necklace, or none at all, if I had possessed a pair of statement earrings to wear today.

All right then - so you really want to see my earrings?  Here's one of them close-up!






4 comments:

  1. After I saw a woman with grey hair and silver hoop earrings in a restaurant, I found silver-color clip-on hoops in an online store. I usually wear them just after I have my hair cut when I'm looking like a little old boy. Clip-ons don't pinch like they used to but I'm just not fond of wearing jewelry.

    Years ago in a department store, my neighbor's 5 year old asked if I would have her ears pierced, a thing I'm sure Mom had forbidden. "Absolutely not, It's a barbaric custom and besides your ears would probably rot off," I answered. A woman behind us on the escalator burst out laughing and said she could hardly wait to get home and tell her sister-in-law what she'd heard.

    I hope your piercing goes well and you get lots of pretty earrings for your birthday. I should have thought of something outrageous to do when I turned 70.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about getting your hair cut. As you can see, my hair is short anyway, but if the hairdresser has cut it particularly short I wear more make-up and feminine clothes just to be on the safe side! I've got nearly 5 years to go till my 70th, so I may be a wimp and look for clip-on hoops instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have my ears pierced but unfortunately, always got infections depsite cleaning/hypo-allergic stems etc. In the end I gave up and grew my hair long enough to cover my ears, but I still miss wearing earrings, they did always finish an outfit off so well. I don't have uch success with clip ons, I always start the day with 2 but rarely finish the day that way. I have a lovely assortment of single earrings though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't you know that the new matching earrings are mismatched earrings? I read about someone (on a forum I think) who said she quite happily wears two different earrings, but HAS to have matching socks. Why not try wearing two different earrings some time - and see if anyone notices!

    ReplyDelete