Friday 19 April 2013

Second-hand Rose - post no 100!

When I realised that this post was going to be my 100th, it was obvious that I needed to choose the subject very carefully.  My 100th post couldn't just be about me and my outfit of the day, it needed to be about something a bit less trivial. I have already written about considering Fairtrade when buying new clothes, but do we really need new clothes? If we decide that we have to buy a new dress, maybe because our favourite dress is past its best, does it have to be brand-new or could we buy second-hand?

When I was younger there was a certain stigma associated with buying second-hand clothes, but then vintage clothing became fashionable, and we grew aware of environmental issues, so nowadays most people are quite happy to shop in charity shops - or thrift shops as they are sometimes called outside the UK.

As the mother of three growing children, I didn't have much money to spend on myself when they were young.  I was working full-time, so when I needed a "new" suit for the office I would pop down to my local Oxfam shop. People would sometimes comment: "Is that new? I haven't seen it before."  I didn't mind admitting that it wasn't new, as I was pleased to have found a bargain.

One of the advantages of buying vintage and second-hand clothing, apart from saving money, is that you are less likely to see someone wearing an identical item of clothing than if you buy the latest look from your nearest fashion store. That's one thing that I miss about no longer living in London, which is a shoppers' paradise if you like second-hand or vintage clothes.  Where we live in Spain there aren't any second-hand shops, and buying on-line can be a bit hit and miss, so I will have to wait until my next trip to visit my family in London and trawl around the second-hand shops there.

I found the dress above on the Oxfam website: it is a Vintage 80s dress by Innovators. It's in my size, and I love the bright colours, but if I buy it will I look young and vibrant (the look aimed for) or will I just look frumpy? It's a fine line for those of us who are over 60.

For inspiration to dress more sustainably, why not look at The Citizen Rosebud, written by young Bella Q (she's a mere child, as she's only 40+)?  Another inspiring blog, with the emphasis on both vintage and hats, is the Style Crone. I'd tell you how old she is, but you wouldn't believe me! Both of them prove the point that style doesn't have a "best by date" and that you don't have to buy new clothes if you want to create a new and different look. Next time you get the urge to shop, why not become a second-hand Rose and buy yourself some second-hand clothes?





13 comments:

  1. I grew up wearing charity-shop clothing and hated it. Now I think of second-hand clothing as treasures, but I also like new. Unfortunately, I do not live in a town with good shopping so I have to hope my eBay purchases work out or pay postage to try things out.

    To my eye, that dress you posted is too bright and busy for you, but I'm not expert. I've learned by reading Imogen's posting that I have medium contrast coloring and need slightly subdued colors (think dusty purple and not bright purple). Again, to my un-expert eye, you also seem medium to low contrast. I used to have a lot of clothing like the dress you posted and finally realized high contrast makes me feel like I'm trying too hard and look frumpy. The photos you've been posting where you use slightly toned down colors and medium contrast look the best on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Robin, for your helpful comments. Dusty colours don't suit me, though lighter shades seem better on me now that I'm getting older and, as you say, medium contrast. Do you write a blog by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love second hand shops and hardly ever buy new. And vintage is a great style! Congrats on you 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie. I wish we had second-hand shops where I live in Spain! At least my family live in London, so I can go shopping whenever I visit them.

      Delete
  4. Sue

    No blog, sorry. Did you see the link I posted on InsideOut, about Imogen's video on colors as we age? I think I used to wear jewel tones pretty well but really need the slightly grayed out version now. Full on seems a bit overwhelming.

    I've scrolled through your blog and think that the vast majority of the outfits you put together are flattering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin, yes I saw the link and watched Imogen's video. Thanks for posting it.

    The slightly grayed out versions don't suit me so much as colours with white added but, as you say, the jewel tones are now a bit too much. I was told that I was a "winter" many, many years ago - but a lot of the colours weren't flattering even them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, lost my post. Trying again!

    Color analysts are only as good as their perspective. My sister was told she had olive skin and she is very pale. She has freckles, but she is not even close to being olive skinned. Winter has high contrast. Look into the 12 or even 16-season charts. I don't see high contrast in you. Very low to medium. But that's from smallish photos. Look at autumn or spring, in the low contrast part. Soft or deep autumn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, I had a mini colour analysis done about 15 years after the first one, when I was on a weekend break, and I think that consultant said I was Autumn or Spring (warm colours not cool!) I think I have more faith in my daughter's judgement as she always picks colours that are flattering on me when we go shopping together!

      Delete
  7. Sue,
    congratulation on writing your 100th blog post... I just check my numbers and they are way lower haha :-)

    Your topic is very noble and wish you great success in helping others all around the world directly and indirectly.

    All of us want to do something to support mother nature... but only few actually take action.. you seem to be one and love it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    nickc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, many thanks for your kind words.

      I believe that people will gradually start to shop with environmental and Fairtrade factors in mind. The more they do so, the more the fashion trade will have to change and make it possible. It is far easier to buy organic food products than it was a few years ago, so I am hoping that fashion will follow along similar lines.

      Delete
  8. Hi Sue, congratulations on your 100th post.

    I am sure there are many other Ex-pats who would love the opportunity to shop for second-hand clothes and miss the opportunity in Spain. Maybe a possible business venture for you? You could even get 1st pick of anything new in. Buying online wouldn't be a problem then as, if they didn't fit or suit you, they could just go on the rail.

    And you never know, you may attract a few Spanish señoras too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacqui. That's a great idea, if only I had the time to set it in motion! I may suggest it to a friend, as she has a lovely large house where she could display the clothes. I would help her by buying things that I love and, if they didn't fit or suit me, get her to sell them on my behalf!

      Delete