Thursday 26 November 2015

Perfect Style for Over 60 Women


This post was triggered by a comment from Lorette on one of my earlier posts. Like many of us, Lorette uses Pinterest for inspiration, but finds herself leaning towards what she feels are younger looks.  I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, especially if we don't want to end up looking frumpy, however some outfits may need adapting slightly for over 60s.

Tish Jett (A Femme D'un Certain Âge) did a five-part series on Transgenerational Dressing, which I really enjoyed, particularly part V where Grandmère, Mère and Fille all wear the same outfit. If you look at the first four parts, Tish takes one item of clothing and then creates three different outfits with it for the three generations. Search on her blog for "Transgenerational Dressing" to see how she changes the outfits to suit each generation. I found the posts very thought-provoking, especially when I discovered I preferred the Mère's and Fille's outfits to the more appropriate Grandmère's outfits in a couple of posts!

I have set up a Pinterest board that I hope will inspire us all and would welcome your suggestions for other stylish over 60 women to add to it. Before you correct me, I know Inés de la Fressange is still in her 50s, but I think her style is ageless and suspect she will be wearing similar outfits once she is over 60. I also apologise for including myself, but my style recipe is "Colourful casual chic with a little bit quirky and a Parisian influence" so I thought I would include some of my favourite outfits as an example of an ordinary over 60 woman rather than just featuring the superstars! Here's my Pinterest board: Over 60 Style. I hope that you enjoy looking at the different styles and can find one that inspires you. Remember that you don't necessarily want to copy every detail of an outfit, but add your own touches to make it suit both you and your personal style.

Regular readers of my blog, who have seen many of my outfits, will know how the emphasis is usually on colourful and casual. However chic is what I aspire to, I do love to find something unusual and whenever I visit France I try to buy clothes with a Parisian look. This could explain why I have so many striped tops!

Colourful
Casual

Chic?
Quirky
Finally - striped tops! Do I look Parisian in them?

Parisian 1
Parisian 2
The most important things for over 60 women to consider in finding their perfect style are: first to identify your personal style; then to choose clothes that suit your lifestyle as well as your personal style; finally make sure your clothes fit you properly and are in colours that flatter you.

I'm definitely not saying all over 60 women should look the same. The photos above show my personal style, which I feel suits me, but your style may be completely different. You may be more elegant than me, more bohemian or more classic. You may love the flamboyant look of the ladies in Advanced Style, or you may prefer something a bit more subdued (dare I say Parisian?)

I should add a disclaimer at this point: I'm not suggesting for a moment that my style is perfect, though I guess that it's perfect for me! I'd love to hear what you think and am happy to answer any questions. If any of you would like to pin your favourite outfits on my Pinterest board, please feel free to do so. As far as I'm concerned - the more, the merrier.



No comments:

Post a Comment